Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cambodia - Part 4.

So I won't lie, I have been surprised at how little I seemed to be affected by the poverty around me.

But today, I figured things out a bit. It was a day filled with ackwardness, shame, humility, hilarity, and absolute joy. What a combo.

The pastor at SLM here brought two friends from Phnom Penh to here (Sihanoukville) to meet Brianna and I - and let me tell you he had a not so hidden agenda of a potential hook up. It was ackward. For Cambodia, these men are incredibly rich. Like, we all climbed into a Lexus SUV rich. Like, work for the government rich. They are also 30 something years old (insert big collar tug here). We ate lunch with them, and then the pastor left with our friend and got us and our brother here to hang out with these men.

It was really hard. Why?
1) It looks bad to see foreign women with rich Khmer men. It kind implies we're using them for their money. In... questionable ways.
2) How could I possibly ignore the incredibly poverty around me and enjoy the rich life in Cambodia? Or anywhere? I almost cried in the vehicle at the thought.

You see, it's not that I have not been affected by the poverty. I have been aware of it all along, and my response has been to view each person as equal in worth and value. So being in a position where I was appearing like an ignorant North American... it was painful. I'm not opposed to riches entirely (obviously), but I am opposed to the rich forgetting that there are those who have little to nothing, and their blessing could bless others as well.

Sigh.
But then tonight redeemed it all. We went to Brianna's Cambodian family's home for dinner. It was just a wonderful time of joy, laughter, westerner mockery (in a delightful way), pictures, and fun. Their hospitality astounds me, and fills me with a desire to always seek to offer that to others.
"Do not think of yourself more highly than you oughts, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you". (Romans 12:3)

Over and out.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

I think that no matter where we are there will be that gap between the rich and the poor, and it'll be a struggle to find a place of belonging. Being uncomfortable (or too comfortable) can teach us a lot! Thanks for keeping us updated! Love you.