Sunday, March 16, 2008

Twenty five.

Stories that explain who I am a bit.

Part 5.

Today was the third time I have phoned 911.

So today my sister and I were driving to Superstore.  On the way from my house to superstore, you cross a set of railroad tracks, closer to our house than the store.  When we passed them, we saw a man waving at the cars.  As we passed, Jess saw that there was someone further down the tracks laying down and another person standing with them, so we figured out that this man was not just waving or hitchhiking, he was trying to get people to pull over.  We also noted that he was a middle aged rougher looking Aboriginal man, which explains why no one had pulled over yet.

We drove until we could turn around, and then pulled a u-turn while calling for our dad to come too.  We pulled over on the other side of the street and ran across Fermor towards the
 waving man.  He explained to us that his friend was having a seizure.  Jess called 911 and I walked/ran over to the man.  He wasn't seizing any longer, but laying beside the tracks and couldn't answer me when I spoke.  While we were doing this his friends started to walk away... which was weird and we still don't know why.

Our dad came, and sirens started ringing in the distance shortly after we phoned.  As they did the man began to shake.  Before this he had just been laying on the side of the tracks but was non-responsive to me.  He was breathing.  So I knelt behind him to keep him on his side and Jess did too.  A few officers came and then the ambulance.  They seemed to recognize him and walked him to the ambulance, thanking us for "our humanity". 

What a crazy day.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Good story...! Reading my version and yours..it's cool how they are basically the same.