Monday, September 14, 2009

tell the world.

today at work, i went to the bathroom. it's a public washroom, as it's in the university. it's the closest to my office and so i've seen it often. over the spring and summer, there wasn't much writing on the walls. but i guess now that school has started, so will the writing. today i looked into the stall and all i could see was...

"playboy".

really? that struck me as so odd. because, if you're going to write on a wall (which i do not condone), why would that be your choice? then i thought about our ability to express ourselves. and why, when we have a marker and a place to write where everyone could see, do we chose to write what we do? why write something like "playboy" and not something like "you are loved" or "i hope you find a reason to smile every day".

i don't know. so here we are. on my blog, which will take the place of my bathroom stall wall, and i just want to say:

you are loved. and i do hope that you find a reason to smile every day. and i think you should know that everyone has bad days but there are always good ones that come after and they are worth the wait. and i think we should all close our eyes and feel the sun shine on us on sunny days, and let that make our heart feel happy. and if you felt sad and needed someone to talk to, that it wouldn't really matter who you were, that i'd very much like to talk to you if you wanted to, or needed to.

that's all.

4 comments:

kerri said...

Aww. I like your ideal graffiti. I think I'm going to write that out and put it in my planner or something, actually. It's very simply but eloquently put and beautiful.

(Eloquent sounds like a University word. Skillz. :P)

The bathroom in 1st floor Centennial had some nice graffiti in it in the spring. I can't remember what it said, but there was some inspiring stuff in there.

My friend informed me today someone wrote a really nice poem in one of the library cubicles, but then someone went to the trouble of replacing all the nouns with "Smurf". Like, at least if people are graffiti'ing stuff up, they're putting nice, sentimental stuff.

Also, I regret to inform you I dropped intro IDS after three classes. Everybody in my class had either lived abroad or had taken a formal global issues course, and I had NO IDEA what was going on.

. . . However, this does mean I've got two hours in the middle of monday, wednesday and friday mornings, and perhaps we could see more of each other in the form of occasional coffee? :) Facebook me when you have time :).

Kara said...

those are awesome things to write on a wall. I like them. Next time you should write one of them down on the wall and see what happens (not that I am promoting vandelism or anything).

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

You are too sweet-my teeth hurt ;)
hehe. That is an excellent observation and good contemplation (no rhyme intended).

kerri said...

just saw said "playboy" graffiti.
seriously. why do people do these things?