Saturday, April 5, 2008

Thirty one.

Volcano Pacaya. 

It's an interesting climb.  To get to the base, you hike through some woods on relatively easy trails (as they've been walked on numerous times) for a while.  After climbing about half way to the top, the ground changes and becomes shale-like volcanic rock.  The going is slow, because for every two steps one takes, there is one step back.  

Life right now is an interesting climb.  I feel like I'm taking big ol' healing steps forward, but then every so often I have one, two, or ten steps back.  And these back steps always happen when you get confident you're going upwards.  So it takes a while to get up to the top.  It's something you have to do, but it's easier to say that when you get to the top than when you fall and scrape your knee on the shale of life.  Okay okay, this is becoming a ridiculous comparison I know.

[if I had my life to live over] "I would take more chances.  I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers.  I would eat more ice cream and less beans.  I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones."
-Nadine Stair

1 comments:

Dana said...

I wish it was a straight climb to the top. However, as you can tell from my own journey, that straight climb doesn't exist. 6 months later it's still a twisty, windy mess. At least there's good friends for the journey huh? Here's to the bleeding battle wounds of the shale...Cheers!